Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crooked I's content too advanced?
So, I was just reading a post on another forum and it brought up a question which gets asked a lot. I figured I'd ask just one more time though...

Does Crooked's content go over listener's heads?

Of course we are familiar with the "Crooked I never dropped an album" comments, but does it ever strike anyone odd when a listener says "Crooked has no content".

I can name so many profound lyrics and thought inspiring verses that will certainly leave an impact you. It really catches me off guard when someone says, "He doesn't say anything".

It makes me wonder, are people listening to the RIGHT verses, not listening at all or is the content too complex?

While Crooked is known for his battle rhymes, he's also known for his social and politically aware content. It makes me wonder if Crooked's style is too advanced for the average Hip Hop fan when there is so much watered down material out there.

I'm not taking anything away from other artist's, I love all Hip Hop, honestly, but comments like this have to get you a little worried...

Well... I'll stop ranting and let everyone else share their thoughts, lol.
i wouldnt say that crook is too advanced, but i would say that the average rap listener doesn't understand what crook is sayin when he gets political, social, emotional whatever.  if the lyrics aren't about bitches, clubbin, dancing, partying, smoking, whatever then the average rap fan kinda tunes out.  i think they just want to hear a dope punchline that they can quote...but i get the feeling crook likes it that way, he got a nice, gangsta mc, and hes respected by the people he wants to be respected by.  he makes music for himself and if other people like it then thats cool
I agree with what you said, I wouldn't ever want to see him conform just for the sake of conforming. If people feel the music great, if not, "move on".
haha exactly...its just a matter of taste.  i appreciate the fact that crooked is reading, paying attention to the news, being socially aware.  and isnt that the way rap music got started?  groups like public enemy and krs-one and all those guys rapped about what was goin on in their part of the world....unfortunately all the listeners that think crooks content is too advanced are probably the ones that buy cds haha
I think you may be on to something EFFeX. Most of the people I know don't listen to this type of music and Rcharles kind of nails why. I do think that it does go over a lot of people's heads, shit even sometimes (rarely Big Grin) even me. Sometimes I believe that Crooked even has double or even triple meanings sometimes with some of his lyrics that i don't catch the first time around.
a "successful rapper"  and a good rapper are 2 different things nowadays. All i can say is realgame reckognizes realgame. Crooked is aknowledged as a true emcee, and he gets props from other good emcee's
Crooked I has it all...complete rapper, he just needs some group of heavyweight producers to give him some beats, Dre, Hi Tek, Rza, Premo etc etc, you know what im saying.

Just listen to Let Me Buy You A Drink and its all clear..
Personally, i think he does go over peoples heads because peoples vocabulary these day are awful im an 18 year old kid and the i have a much wider vocab than them people just aren't inspired to read and learn new words and i think crooked has said that reading is a good help if you want to be the best emcee you can be, and i also think that the social and political will turn the average hip hop off because they don't care
(10-01-2010, 03:11 AM)Episcop DOC Cvrle link Wrote:Crooked I has it all...complete rapper, he just needs some group of heavyweight producers to give him some beats, Dre, Hi Tek, Rza, Premo etc etc, you know what im saying.

Just listen to Let Me Buy You A Drink and its all clear..
  agreedd esp since im listenin to let me buy u a drink as i read this
he has no content wat? the lines in hhw4.... wanna take me to court... fuck u.. i dont care.. its the art of war let sun tzu.... prob the best lyric ive ever heard