Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crooked I's content too advanced?
(10-02-2010, 07:25 AM)J.P link Wrote:without straying too muchoff topic  i think some people basing this "crook has no content" thing  off his freestyles and knowing he has no album out and they just run with it. 

Exactly. If he puts an album out, I doubt you'll hear people say that afterwards. But as of right now, people only know him as a dude that's been freestyling for 15+ years with nothing to show for it, so they assume he has nothing to say.
Crooked's lyrics will go over a lot of people's heads. But if they don't, to me it's like a video game with no replay value. There's nothing more to come back to again and again. Crooked's most basic verses can be deep lyrically. For those who only give it one listen, you just can't comprehend. But otherwise, it's a sign of his genius.
Most of Crookeds freestyles are just sick punchlines, with ocassionally (more common now) dropping some deep shit. People heard the punchline songs, the punchlines went way over there head and they didnt understand so they thought he was just saying nothing and when he releases deep shit they just say "oh he's saying nothing" without even listening. People are ignorant these days and its a shame that Crooked isnt a millionaire off his lyrics because the man is a genius with words. A true poet who should be recognized globally.
It's a question of listener intelligence being in line with Crooked's. If you are dumb you will not be able to comprehend what he says most of the time.
the reason why guys like lil wayne and oj the juicyman or w/e his stupid ass name is are so popular.  75% of the world is dumb as fuck.  they are the people that make it so easy for the rest of us to be made to follow stupid rules.  record companies know this, thats why they push garbage, no intellect music out because they know the masses wont have to use their feeble minds to understand it, therefor, will eat it up. so if you ever see comments like that on message boards dont get mad or try to understand what goes through a persons brain to say something like that, just remember, your not a retard! lol
(10-04-2010, 10:13 PM)ThaHolyChronic link Wrote:the reason why guys like lil wayne and oj the juicyman or w/e his stupid ass name is are so popular.  75% of the world is dumb as fuck.  they are the people that make it so easy for the rest of us to be made to follow stupid rules.  record companies know this, thats why they push garbage, no intellect music out because they know the masses wont have to use their feeble minds to understand it, therefor, will eat it up. so if you ever see comments like that on message boards dont get mad or try to understand what goes through a persons brain to say something like that, just remember, your not a retard! lol
LMAO@ your last sentence cause there's some real truth to that
(10-02-2010, 11:12 AM)Tony Trey link Wrote:[quote author=J.P link=topic=4620.msg278154#msg278154 date=1286018709]
without straying too muchoff topic  i think some people basing this "crook has no content" thing  off his freestyles and knowing he has no album out and they just run with it. 

Exactly. If he puts an album out, I doubt you'll hear people say that afterwards. But as of right now, people only know him as a dude that's been freestyling for 15+ years with nothing to show for it, so they assume he has nothing to say.
[/quote]

this...because when u freestyle with punchlines, at the end of the day, you might've wowed someone with your wordplay, but you really didnt give the listener any content. That might be why people say he has nothing to offer...I feel the same way too sometimes, you can have lines about your gangsta demeanor, swag, how good u spit, but you havent offered them substance to bask in - none of it has any meaning. no hate to crooked though, cuz its not like he isnt capable of bringing meaning to a verse like how he did on Rain Drops.
There have been quite a few nice ones, post Rain Drops where crook has had good meaning and content. Id say So long remix, fireflies freestyle, they, let me buy u a drank, can i talk to you pt. 2,  hhwr weeks 3,6,8, are a couple . i think crook is getting even better too cause it seems like he is showin us that hes not justa simple rapper, hes an intelligent dude and we are hearin it more in his lyrics on Planet C.O.B and this reloaded series. I really like that hes touchin on all these different topics, ive heard a few dope references to ancient egyptian shit, reincarnation, secret societies and that art of war line was ridiculous. Shit like''rappers can unite every race under the sun, hands wraped around the mic homie im the one" line really excites me in the direction he is goin and where his head is at. Dont get me wrong Id like an album and all for a complete body of work but to be honest i like the way crook releases his music. A catchy hook is nice but i dont need to hear it 3 or 4 times in a 3 or 4 minute song, id rather listen to crook go in for for 3 or 4 mins with no hook just ill lyrics. It would be a shame if he didnt release music ALL the time like he does now and just did an album once a year if that. He shouldnt stop this weekly series lol just keep goin till he retires or somethin that would be really settin history
I think the problem lies in him not chasing any high-profile features, since Dream Big with Akon, but when I say high-profile features I don't mean mainstream artists in general, I mean ones that are still in the mainstream for making music that they want to make, like Busta Rhymes or Jay Z (as much as I hate him), that line that "sitting next Russell, nigga respect the hustle" I mean he says that can get in those circles, but he won't make music with 'em, maybe it's because he thinks that it'll end up like Say Dr. Dre who knows, it even frustrates me sometimes, knowing he could easily grab a Rakim verse & a RZA beat if he tried. Another thing I can think of is that he speaks on West Coast Unity but he only does tracks with the "New West", also, in general, as you can see from Ferhat or Rajon among others, some Crook "fans" will bash "Old West" artists & completely diss anything they do musically without even giving their projects/songs a single listen, and anything they do socially they'll call 'em crackheads , and if they do movies that weren't directed by John Singleton they'll call 'em bitch niggas, and if it was directed by John Singleton they'll say they didn't deserve that role & those same "fans" reading this won't even know who John Singleton is without doing a google search, hell they go as far as to diss the ones that paved Crook's way just for doing kids movies, out of the thought that that discredits what they do on a mic, & that makes fans like me not even wanna be C.O.B. because we don't wanna get looped in with ferhat or rajon rondo, I guess it just goes to show how much that attracting "fans" like that can damage the artists & their fanbases reputation, but that seems to be what "New West" artists tend to attract.

If I sound like I'm saying he should conform, I'm not trying to, I just think he should at least try & grab features from other lyricists & "Old West" artists, that should get those kind of "fans" off of here, though it may rile 'em up even more & then start dissing Crook the same way, & not even perma-bans can fix that, since they'll just create another account like fehat has.
Hip-Hop in general has nothing say anymore, the 90´s was the best decade for this culture hand fucking down!!!!!! The Industry is dirty, so you needs to think that these rappers who came with a message, ( +Crooked I in this pot) are business mens as well. Crooked started with his fast hard flow with good messages. Listen to his old stuff and his new stuff you will see the difference.

Look at Kendrick Lamar he has something to say, but after that Dre cosign it seems that he sold his sould alil bit, you gonna see how he gonna change his style when his debut album comes.