Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crooked I's "Villain" is receiving a positive response! [Updated Stats]
Top 70 on the Urban charts and climbing! Please keep requesting.
Number 70 in the urban charts must be the equivalent of about 300 in the normal charts. I'm not holding my breat on crook cracking the industry any time soon.
(01-02-2011, 05:44 PM)EFFeX link Wrote:[quote author=cymba link=topic=5073.msg281759#msg281759 date=1294003379]
I really don't think this song will catch on at all. Its nothing more than YET ANOTHER unoriginal come-from-and-get-out-of-the-ghetto story from Crooked. How many times have the fans heard that already from him? If Dream Big didn't catch on, which had one of pop music's most popular artists on the hook and Crooked's buzz was at all-time high fresh off HHW, why the hell would this? Come on now.

The song itself is decent at best, sorely lacking a third verse too. There have got to be a lot more better songs in the Crooked vault he could have used as a single.

Also, I haven't heard the song yet on Shade45, which actually played Everythang quite a bit.

My question is... If you don't like Villain, what do you want to hear from him? People complained that he dumbed it down on Everythang and now that he's spitting something from the heart and GETTING radio play and that's still a problem? I don't get it.

He's getting radio play on commercial radio as an independent artist, that's a great look. Obviously it would be a challenge to make Top 40 with the Rihanna's and Eminem's, but that's not completely expected.
[/quote]

Well, first of all, where is he getting commercial radio play? It hasn't been played on any Sirius when I've been listening (which doesn't mean it hasn't been played, I just haven't heard).

I didn't say I didn't like Villian, I just said it was decent at best, which is my honest opinion. Not every Crooked is awesome. He has made MUCH, MUCH better songs in the past and everyone knows it. Just because he officially releases a song, doesn't mean it shouldn't be criticized for what it is. If it had a third verse, it may be a very good song, where he could talk not being a villain, and him doing good in the world- like raising his kids, making music, etc. but the fans are left wanting more out of the song.

For a single, no one wants to hear an introspective song- at least not on a first single. Especially a first single for a debut album when trying to attract new fans. Plus, Crooked's opening line in the song is "Flat broke, living in the hood/when I need money, I'll be up to no good" nothing wrong with that at all, but it doesn't sell records, this is isn't the 90's anymore. That first line sets the tone for the whole song. Rhyming hood and good is not a good look for Crooked anyway, dude completely dumb-downed that, when he is capable of so much more.
great post cymba, rhyming good with hood made me cringe, that's some warren g level of lyricism

it's sad when a great rapper stoops to such desperate lows to try and gain recognition, all shit like that would do is alienate his existing fans, look at what happened with chino when he tried to sell out, fucking disaster
Request with KVSP in Oklahoma, Villain is now in their Top 10 most popular songs!
A few more updates about Villain's radio success so far...

Top 5 in Oklahoma City (KVSP)
Top 10  in Tulsa (KJMM)
Top 15 in Augusta (WFXA)

Additionally the song was just picked up by two more radio stations in Biloxi and Lexington. I'll have the names of those stations tomorrow.

Keep requesting, especially with Power 106 and Shade 45!
Villain officially made it's way onto Shade 45 today!
I live out here in OKC and that song is in heavy rotation. Everybody that I know is quoting it and jumping on it like it was a Lil Wayne song and that's no bull. I'm pretty excited that it made number one in Tulsa today. Its only a matter of time..
(01-06-2011, 11:44 PM)phoenician89 link Wrote:I live out here in OKC and that song is in heavy rotation. Everybody that I know is quoting it and jumping on it like it was a Lil Wayne song and that's no bull. I'm pretty excited that it made number one in Tulsa today. Its only a matter of time..

Yeah man, this is really what we've been waiting on. There's a lot of old school Crooked I supporters on this site and we really need everyone to get behind this song and support Million Dollar Story. We're closer than ever!
If Crooked doesnt drop the album this time he is offically crazy. The dude definetly has some buzz going around, he needs to use it to his advantage.