Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BallerStatus: Crooked I Shares Journey On 'Million Dollar Story'
From: http://www.ballerstatus.com/2011/03/30/c...lo-artist/

Quote:Crooked I Shares Journey On 'Million Dollar Story', Wants To Introduce Himself As Solo Artist

By Jay Casteel, Published 03/30/2011

Although Crooked I is rising to new heights as a member of the four-man supergroup Slaughterhouse, who just signed to Shady Records earlier this year, he knows that there's much more work ahead if he wants to breakout as a solo artist.

That's just what he's doing with the recent release of the Million Dollar $tory EP, a four-track digital offering which serves as a pre-cursor to his full-length album of the same title coming later this year.

The new EP is the first taste of solo material from the Long Beach rapper since 2009's Mr. Pigface Weapon Waist. However, this new project has a much different tone. On Pigface, Crooked released songs in a style accustomed to fans of Slaughterhouse, but for Million Dollar $tory, listeners will get a better understanding of his travels through hip-hop.

"The Pigface Weapon Waist was kinda like an alter-ego project. It's kinda like I was in that zone, coming on stage with Slaughterhouse with a black Dickies suit and a pig mask," the rapper tells BallerStatus.com with a laugh. "Like we was on some wild, we don't give a damn about nothing, we don't give a f***, we coming out on stage, we wrecking this mic, we killing this crowd and we outta here.

"The Million Dollar Story is like 'Ok, I've been through a lot, everybody has seen my journey, and a lot of people who haven't, they gonna find out about it," Crooked continued. "Million Dollar Story is just more like full circle, my hip-hop journey, although I got way more sh** to achieve, I got goals I set, I got a lot of work to do. It's a lot of lessons I learned in the game, on the streets and in hip-hop, and hip-hop is very close to the streets. So, you know, it's a story to be told. The EP is a pre-album, with the album coming after that."

Despite this being first new solo release in two years, Crooked I admits that fans are resistant because of the fact that the project is simply an EP, rather than a full-length album.  It was a business decision, and the rapper promises fans, it's necessary.

"There was another company responsible for my marketing and I wanted to take control of the marketing," Crooked I explained. "Now, I'm in control of the marketing for the Million Dollar Story album. Therefore, I had to push it back, because if Interscope, Def Jam, or Atlantic ... if they give they artists 90 days to roll out and promote a project -- I'm independent, I really need 180, I need 200, I might need 300 days. I don't have a budget like them.

"I have to think just like [the major labels] do in certain instances, and I have to have more innovative marketing strategies than they do," he continued. "That's why we pushed the record back, so we could roll out this marketing plan."

The EP and upcoming album will boast four music videos, which Crooked I is set to begin filming at the start of April. Two of the visuals will be for tracks off the EP, while the other two will be for the upcoming album.

However, at press time, the projected dates of release for the music videos were unknown, nor was the release date of the full-length Million Dollar $tory album.

While Crooked reveals that Slaughterhouse is hard at work on their debut albm, which he says has "good concept songs," he's hoping his solo projects help usher him into the eyes of fans as a viable solo artist, even if he doesn't do the sales numbers some may expect.

"With the EP and album, I don't care what the numbers are," the rapper explained. "What I'm trying to do is introduce myself as a solo artist to the hip-hop community. That's what I care about. I don't give a f*** how many it sells. Obviously, I would like it to sell, but I also know that if I'm controlling the market, spending $100,000 on marketing, then that's what I'm gonna get back."

The Million Dollar $tory EP is out now, and available at either iTunes or Crooked I's official website, PlanetCOB.com.
Was anyone else not able to stop laughing when they read this?

-The album's on the way, but I've got no release date.
-I've got a new type of marketing, but I'm not saying what it is.
-I've got four videos coming, but I'm not saying when.

Anyways, I guess that supposed May release is off now, huh? Sounds like an indefinite push back to me, which really means its getting scrapped.
I didn't see anything that said a May release is canceled. All I see in this article is that Crooked I didn't provide BallerStatus with a release date.

BTW: It was announced on March 22nd, that it was scheduled for May / June.
Of course he didn't say the release date is canceled, but read between the lines.

If he was that certain it was coming May/June, don't you think he would've said something in the interview? Who promotes an album in a interview without dropping a release date (or release period, such as "third quarter 2011")? Not mentioning anything about release dates looks ridiculously bush league.

And what about that crap about marketing? He needs 180 days. That's 6 months. Or even better was the line about 300 days. That's 10 months.
Further proof this album isn't coming. EFFeX i got love for you man but you are like a guy that consistently gets cheated on by a girl but he is so infatuated by her that he refuses to believe or see it. Crooked is NEVER going to drop an album. This is the exact same process that we always go through with Crooked albums. Back in January he said March 22nd, thats damn near 4 months and he didnt promote it once...now Gracie says May/June and Crooked does an interview and doesn't even mention a time period for an album. Anybody who believes the album will come is extremely gullible and it's sad. Be real people and just look forward to the next Slaugherhouse album.
I don't get it, Crooked doesn't say anything about the album for mad long and then people saying "Proof the album isn't coming out."

Then he does 2 interviews about the album within 1 week and then THAT becomes proof that the album isn't coming out.

What do people want him to do? Sit down and have Obama announce it? lol
He's not saying anything that we don't already know. It features the COB family and there is a song with Twista. If he did an interview and said "Yeah man the album is completelty done, i'm going to leak the artwork within the next few days and the album will be droppin June 7th, we have a music video comin' out next Tuesday, the fans will love it, it is my best work to date" then that would be a reason to believe were really getting a Crooked album. Instead we get open ended answers about how he will handle the promotion for the project and the amount of days it might take. If Gracie wouldn't have said anything about May/June none of us would have any clue when the album is supposed to drop this year.
(03-30-2011, 07:22 PM)EFFeX link Wrote:I don't get it, Crooked doesn't say anything about the album for mad long and then people saying "Proof the album isn't coming out."

Then he does 2 interviews about the album within 1 week and then THAT becomes proof that the album isn't coming out.

What do people want him to do? Sit down and have Obama announce it? lol

Read the interview. No release date. Vague reference to some new marketing scheme (just like at the end of Hip Hop Weekly Reloaded) that could take 6 to 10 months. Sounds like no album in 2011 to me.
@effex

Hate it or Love it This interview proves the MD$ The LP isn't coming out, but I hope we get a few more MD$ The EPs, if we don't, then I stand by my post in 1 of the other threads where I said

(03-29-2011, 01:28 PM)Hood R.A.T. link Wrote:if it isn't good he better do a 208 week long (that's four years for my people out there) HHW to make up for it

P.S. if it IS going to come out then why the hell is Crook answering questions the same way George W. Bush answered questions pertaining to War In Iraq

For Example, "Why Are We STILL In Iraq?"
His Answer is below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgrSCVYT_0Y
This article ignores the existence of the "Planet C.O.B. Volume 1" ep, claiming that the "Million Dollar Story" "ep" is Crooked's first, since "Mr. Pig Face, Weapon Waist."  I guess that's not really the point of the article, but still, there does seem to be a pattern of releasing a lot of eps (four in 3 years, so far...5 if you count the "Slaughterhouse ep) .