Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hip Hop DX & DJ Booth Interview Crooked I

Quote:Crooked I's brand new digital EP In None We Trust officially went on sale today and it's already getting incredible reviews. As the Circle of Bosses continues to promote the project, Crooked I has taken time to sit down for two brand new interviews.

In Crooked I's brand new interviews with both Hip Hop DX and DJ Booth.net, the Boss of the West touches on several topics ranging from the new EP, Slaughterhouse's sophomore effort as well as his personal life. Both interviews are jam packed with new information and we encourage everyone to take a few moments to check them out using the included links.

In the event that you have not picked up Crooked I's In None We Trust, it's now available through the Planet COB website as well as iTunes and Amazon. As usual, keep it locked to The B.O.S.S. Board for all your C.O.B. related updates.

Hip Hop DX Interview-
http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.17...er-delays/

DJ Booth Interview-
http://www.djbooth.net/index/news/entry/...x-1213111/
OH MY GOD DUDEEEEEE
He should write a book  damn he always comes through with dope interviews.
(12-13-2011, 09:24 PM)J.P link Wrote:He should write a book  damn he always comes through with dope interviews.

Yeah, both interviews are dope, but he really opens up in the Hip Hop DX one.
(12-13-2011, 09:30 PM)EFFeX link Wrote:[quote author=J.P link=topic=6761.msg295868#msg295868 date=1323825891]
He should write a book  damn he always comes through with dope interviews.

Yeah, both interviews are dope, but he really opens up in the Hip Hop DX one.
[/quote]

Only read the HipHopDX interview, but it was a good one.  Not the same old shit I was used to seeing him talk about for like 3 or 4 years.
Nice interviews! The HipHopDx one was great, i was expecting the same shit as always but it got a little deeper than that.
had no idea u aint the homie was gonna be a SINGLE - interesting

Justin (Lunatic) posted an unedited version of the DJ Booth interview on Dubcnn with longer answers and questions that weren't originally included for those of you who are interested. Here you go...

Quote:We’re right here with Crooked I himself! “In None We Trust”, you’re new EP drops December 13th. Tell us about how the project came together.

I just wanted to give the people some music. I had the “Million Dollar Story” album I was about to drop but I ran into some complications with the label I was dealing with. That’s been one the biggest problems with my career. When complications come about and I see that you’re not handling your business, I’ll bounce out and just give the fans some free music or sell it on my website. I’ll never allow myself to be put in a twist by a record label. That’s why I put a pause on “Million Dollar Story” but I wanted to at least give the fans some new quality Crooked I solo material.

So does that mean “Million Dollar Story” is still a go? You just need to figure out the label complications?

“Million Dollar Story” is a go. I’ve got people submitting scripts right now because we’re doing a mini movie as well. So yes that project is still a go, even if I have to do it all myself like I’ve been doing anyways. I don’t know dog – I just can’t go for it [label politics]. Sometimes as a starving artist, there are certain things you have to go for that a label throws at you. But in my case, I’m blessed enough to where I’m not starving so I need them [the unnamed label] to come with something better. They need to do their job; I’m not with people taking our hard work for granted. As artists, we work hard. I work all hours of the day; people think this is just a fucking party. I travel like crazy, barely get rest and don’t get to see the people that I care about often. I’m not about to let a label take all that shit for granted and fuck up my project. I will never allow that to happen.

I hear you, as long as you’re not starving, it’s not worth it.

And it’s really not worth it at any time but I understand how some artists have to allow the labels to run their game some times. And that isn’t directed at all labels because you still have some executives that know what the fuck they’re doing. Some labels still operate the right way, but some labels don’t know what the fuck they’re dong and I’m not about to get caught in that mix in today’s era, the digital era where I can just give the fans a project directly.  It’s really about the music to me and I just want to give the fans the music.

So if it comes down to it, will you be willing to release “Million Dollar Story” digitally?

I’m never gonna’ do that. I need “Million Dollar Story” to be in the fans’ hands as my debut album. They have to be able to hold that. I have to be able to go into the store like every other artist that I support and buy the whole shelf. I have options now, I truly do thanks to Slaughterhouse and thanks to the things that have been going on with my C.O.B. click – I have a lot of options on the table but the one that I was going with at the time, it wasn’t the right move. A lot of my fans get mad like “you’re not gonna’ put this out” but they know me, I’ll give them free music once a week for the whole year just to show them that I’m loyal to the people who listen to my music. It’s about doing good business. I’m not gonna’ be smothered out of the game – I can’t do that for some fucking money, they can keep their fucking cheque.

I respect that. And there’s no doubt you’ve always put out a plethora of free music. Back to the EP, explain the meaning behind the title to us – “In None We Trust: The Prelude.”

You know how you hear trust no man? Trust no woman? Trust no bitch? It’s coming from that philosophy of who can you trust? It’s a dirty game out here. Sometimes we reach a point in our life where we feel like we can’t trust anybody. C.O.B. has a movement and we trust each other before we trust anybody outside the circle. I’m sure people can relate to that. I see it every day; a fly bitch with “trust no man” tattooed on her neck (laughs). I don’t really trust any of these snakes out here because there are a lot of haters in the game and the industry is full of suckers. C.O.B., “In None We Trust.”

That’s perfect right there. What were you trying to say on the first leak “No Competition?”

That was the first single right there produced by Aktive Beats. When I heard the beat, it was something that made me want to go in the booth and match the energy of the track. I needed to deliver something to the people that would get them hyped when they heard it. if you’re in the gym working out, you don’t wanna’ hear some soft shit – you wanna’ hear something that will pump you up. “No Competition” is that kind of music; you can ride to it or work out to it. I have a lot of fans that are athletes and they want that amped up shit. That’s the way I was feeling that day. I was letting motherfuckers know that there is no competition on this mic.

It’s funny you say that, I’ve been telling people for years that no rapper can keep up with Crooked I bar for bar – there is no competition.

(Laughs) I appreciate that my dude. And sometimes we as emcees have to get cocky like that; we need to let a motherfucker know that there is no competition. I guarantee you that all of the emcees that are worth mentioning, they work fucking hard. Nobody wakes up as the dopest motherfucker to touch a mic. We have to hone our skills and work on our craft and I know I work on my craft. I think that’s the same way guys like Eminem and Lil Wayne think – we have to be best. Don’t step on the court if you don’t want to be the best.

No doubt, tell us a little bit about who you worked with on the EP.

I worked with Aktive Beats as mentioned. I have my guy Komplex from Treacherous Records which I’m the vice president of. We’re about to start doing all kinds of things at Treacherous in 2012. Rick Rock also gave me a beat on the mixtape – Rick Rock to me is one of the best producers period; especially on the west coast, he has to be in the top three as far as talent goes. Feature wise, I worked with Glasses Malone, Jay Rock, Coniyac, Mistah F.A.B. and K-Young who is a talented singer part of our independent family over at Treacherous Records. I wanted to give the people something to rock too for the end of 2011; put it in your iPod and disc changer and bang it all the way out until the Slaughterhouse album comes out.

Komplex is a beast on the production boards. What are some of Treacherous’ plans for 2012? You touched on that slightly.

We have One-2, K-Young and Komplex. I’m gonna’ be using a lot of my down time and focusing my energy on helping those dudes become bigger because they’re all mega talented. One-2 is crazy on the mic period. Komplex does his things with the beats and I feel like K-Young is the hook master on the west coast right now, rest in peace to Nate Dogg. He’s also an incredible song writer. I’m not trying to throw shots at anybody here on the west coast; I just think K-Young has the best R&B pen and he has the best hooks. I’m singing these guys praises because they deserve it. People need to start understanding K-Young’s talent. When I hear his hooks and he’s written for other people, he’s crazy. He should be up there with The-Dream and Sean Garrett right now.

I hear you on that! You were talking about “In None We Trust” holding off the fans until the new Slaughterhouse album comes – what sort of information can you give us on that?

It’s going to be fucking crazy dog. Sometimes I want to step back and not be one of the members, and put myself in the shoes of somebody listening as a fan of hip-hop. Since I’m one of the members, I get an inside look that people may be envious of, but I’m envious of the outside look y’all get (laughs). I wonder how this shit sounds to a die hard hip-hop fan because Royce Da 5”9 is going to the hip-hop fall of fame of lyrically, and Joe Budden and Joell Ortiz are as well. When you put all of these people on one track, it’s incredible. I can’t describe what we’re creating right now; it’s on some other shit.

It sounds to me as if you’re feeling good about how the album’s shaping up. Have you guys begun brainstorming with titles or release dates?

We don’t have a title yet but I know we’re trying to do the first quarter. I think we have a surprise for the people coming towards the end of this month; something off the album potentially. They’re gonna’ be mad at me for saying that but I gotta’ give the people some little tidbits (laughs). On the real side of things, the album is incredible.
With Eminem, I got the chance to really sit down and watch and learn how he does his thing in the studio on a producer’s level; not just on an emcee level. He goes in there and produces the fuck out of a song. It sounds totally different from when you lay your vocals. You may leave to a different studio and put some vocals on something else;
you come back to the original studio and he goes “listen to this” and he’s already taken the record to a whole other fucking level. I don’t think the game pays enough attention to Eminem’s production skills. Everyone knows he produces but he can mix the hell out of a record. He sat under Dr. Dre and we all know what his ear is like when it comes to mixing a record. That alone is valuable and I see that in Eminem. I try to watch what knobs he’s pushing in the studio, I’m trying to get my little game from him (laughs). The whole experience can’t be matched.

That definitely sounds like an experience, and speaking of Dr. Dre, you had put out a message a few months ago, kind of like an open invitation to Dre after shortly after you signed with Shady. Has Slaughterhouse had a chance to get in the booth with Dre for this record yet?

We haven’t because for the most part we’ve been recording the project in Detroit with Eminem. We’ve dabbled with a few things at my studio in California but we’ve mainly been in Detroit. But trust me; anytime we get on the phone with anybody affiliated with Shady/Aftermath/Interscope, I always say “yo, we’re not finishing this album without a Dre track are we?” (laughs). I just wanna’ hear that Dr. Dre & Slaughterhouse collab. I can’t even imagine what that would feel like; it would probably give me the feeling of a 2012 NWA.

I’m sure he would like it too; I know he’s been busy on a world tour promoting the beats by Dre line.

He’s out there killing them with the headphones, speakers and everything. He just came to the game and took over. I was at the airport in Maui and six out of ten heads I saw were wearing Dre beats [headphones]. That’s 60% of people listening to music; that’s fucking incredible; now I just need him to make a Slaughterhouse beat that they can bang in those motherfuckers (laughs).

In your latest freestyle “Beach City Bitch”, it seemed like you were getting at somebody and you sort of “tweeted” about a diss too. What can you say about that?

That was just a coincidence [the freestyle and the tweet]. That “Beach City Bitch” freestyle was just for the blogs to post something new. That had nothing to do with what I was tweeting about. I had received some information that somebody on the west coast had a song aimed at me. It was a total coincidence that I was tweeting that when the freestyle came out. If I’m gonna’ get at somebody, I’m gonna’ get at you - it won’t be hard to tell who I’m talking about. I didn’t throw them any bars on that because I got a phone call the next day with an apology and it seemed to be sincere. Truth be told, I’m probably the biggest rapper on the west coast preaching unity between everybody.  It really throws me out of character when I have to go into smash mode at somebody on my own coast. I wanna’ do more business with west coast artists, do more collabs and more shows together. I was ready to go when I heard somebody was getting t me but then I got the phone call and everything is cool. There is no diss.

That makes sense. I appreciate your time Crooked; do you have any last words before I let you go?

I definitely appreciate you guys [DJBooth], I always see the email blasts and you guys constantly support my music. I have nothing but love for you guys at http://www.djbooth.net.
I would die laughing if Em started joking with Crooked I about all the LPs that didn't drop.
Hahaha

Great interviews thanks for that